Rain or Shine

This week started off beautiful. Perfect weather, sunny and cool! Today however, was rainy and cold. Not ideal, but I managed to get a mid-day yoga session in that helped me focus on my homework and squeeze in some study time. Oh I also took full advantage of my day off from classes and this rainy weather by eating leftovers and watching tv. I think we all deserve a few hours to "gel-out" at the end of a long week. :)
I am trying to be economical and use the ingredients and produce that I have until at least the middle of next week. Yes, I am a college student and cannot be spending ALL of my money on groceries - even though it is tempting with all the recipes I am dying to try! But I came up with some tasty meals this week starting with roasted eggplants and tomatoes, crunchy blue corn nachos with homemade salsa, and lastly an Asian plate of sauteed Bok Choy and chicken fried rice from scratch!

Oven-Roasted Eggplant and Campari Tomatoes:

- Pre-heat oven to 375
- cut half of the eggplant in 1/4" circles
- cut 2 campari tomatoes in half
- place in single layer on oven pan and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil
- sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper
- roll and chop fresh basil and distribute over vegetables
- place in oven for 10 minutes
- remove from oven shortly - top the vegetables with leftover marinara sauce and cheeses: I used goat cheese on half and an Italian 3-cheese combo on the rest
- roast for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese has nicely melted. Enjoy!

Crunchy Blue Corn Nachos:

- The night before I used leftover ingredients to make a healthy salsa
Mix together:
- 1/3 cup drained and washed black beans
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- dash of salt/pepper/Tabasco or hot sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice
- chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)

Nachos:
- pre-heat oven to 350
- arrange a layer or blue corn torilla chips in an iron skillet or pan
- layer with your choice of cheese
- layer with homemade salsa
- top with cheese
- bake for 10-15 minutes until melted and crunchy!
*Added salsa on side with a spinach salad and homemade orange balsamic dressing

Bok Choy and Chicken Fried Rice




No comments:

Post a Comment