Secret love: Cinnamon Spice

I couldn't help but smile when I read the Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen post about cinnamon this morning. Just another reason to confirm my love for this blog. I find a way to incorporate cinnamon in or on or around just about everything that I eat and drink. Daily, I put it in the two cups of coffee I drink in the morning and on top of my daily graham crackers + peanut butter fix. Weekly, cinnamon will find its way in a rice dish, curry, chili, or chicken marinade, and its ALWAYS used when I bake.

The Kitchen post this morning titled, "From the Spice Cupboard: Cinnamon," read:
If we were trapped on a desert island, cinnamon is definitely one of the spices we'd want in our magical picnic basket. Cinnamon, or one of its cousins, is used in almost every world cuisine, plus it can do double duty in both desserts and savory dishes. There are literally hundreds of ways it can be used.

True cinnamon comes from the inner bark of a tropical tree related to the bay laurel (of all things!) and is distinguished as Ceylon or Sri Lankan cinnamon. As the bark dries, it curls on itself into those distinctive slender sticks, or "quills." Cinnamon is light reddish-brown in color and highly aromatic. It has a mild and sweet flavor without the robust spiciness of cassia.

Previous posts including cinnamon:
Granola recipe
Carrots and Mango recipe
Morning Berry Muffins recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment